Breaking News

ICPC Confirms Detention of Former Kaduna Governor Nasir El-Rufai Over Fresh Investigation


 ICPC Confirms Detention of Former Kaduna Governor Nasir El-Rufai Over Fresh Investigation

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission) has confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is currently in its custody in connection with a new investigation.

In an official statement issued on Wednesday, the anti-corruption agency disclosed that El-Rufai was detained at the close of work on February 18, 2026, as part of ongoing investigative activities. While the commission did not immediately disclose the specific allegations against the former governor, it confirmed that his detention is linked to petitions and matters under active review.

The confirmation marks a significant development in a series of legal and investigative actions involving the former governor, who served Kaduna State for eight years. According to the commission, the investigation is ongoing, and further details will be made public at the appropriate time.

The ICPC’s action comes amid heightened scrutiny of El-Rufai’s administration, following earlier probes by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission). The EFCC had previously arrested and questioned the former governor over allegations of large-scale financial mismanagement during his tenure.

Reports indicate that El-Rufai spent several days in EFCC custody earlier this week, during which he was interrogated over claims of corruption and embezzlement involving public funds. Although administrative bail was reportedly considered, the process was said to have stalled after concerns were raised by proposed sureties, leading to his continued detention.

Adding to the controversy, a Kaduna State House of Assembly ad-hoc committee had earlier accused the El-Rufai administration of allegedly diverting approximately ₦432 billion through questionable contracts and alleged money-laundering schemes. The committee’s findings intensified calls for federal anti-corruption agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into the former governor’s financial dealings while in office.

El-Rufai has consistently rejected the allegations, describing them as politically motivated and aimed at damaging his reputation. He has repeatedly insisted that his administration operated transparently and within the law, maintaining that the accusations amount to a coordinated campaign of persecution.

However, developments surrounding his case have expanded beyond financial allegations. The Department of State Services (Department of State Services) has also filed criminal charges against the former governor at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

According to court documents, the DSS accused El-Rufai of unlawfully intercepting phone communications belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser. The charge, filed in the name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, lists El-Rufai as the sole defendant and is dated February 16, 2026.

Prosecutors allege that the former governor made incriminating statements during a televised interview on Arise TV Prime Time, which aired on February 13, 2026. In the interview, he was said to have acknowledged actions that investigators claim amounted to unlawful interception of private communications.

One count alleges that the former governor violated provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, by intercepting communications without lawful authority. Another count accuses him of failing to report individuals allegedly involved in the interception to relevant security agencies, despite having knowledge of their activities.

A further charge claims that El-Rufai and other unnamed persons used technical systems in a manner that compromised national security and public safety, contrary to provisions of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

Legal experts say the convergence of investigations by multiple security and anti-corruption agencies underscores the seriousness of the allegations, though they caution that the former governor remains legally innocent until proven guilty in court.

Meanwhile, the ICPC has reiterated its commitment to conducting a professional and impartial investigation. In its statement, the commission emphasized that no individual is above the law and that its actions are guided strictly by evidence and due process.

As of the time of filing this report, El-Rufai had not issued a fresh public statement regarding his detention by the ICPC. His legal team is, however, expected to respond formally as proceedings continue.

The unfolding case has drawn national attention, raising renewed debates about accountability, the rule of law, and the effectiveness of Nigeria’s anti-corruption institutions in handling high-profile cases involving former public office holders.

No comments