Breaking News

Terrorists Overrun Zamfara Village, More Than 50 Feared Dead in Overnight Assault


 Terrorists Overrun Zamfara Village, More Than 50 Feared Dead in Overnight Assault

Residents of a rural community in Zamfara State are mourning after a brutal overnight attack by armed terrorists left dozens of people dead and several others missing, according to local accounts and security sources.

The deadly assault took place in Dutsin Dan Ajiya village, located in Anka Local Government Area, where gunmen reportedly stormed the community late on Thursday evening and unleashed hours of violence that continued into the early hours of Friday.

Villagers said the attackers arrived in large numbers, heavily armed and riding on motorcycles. A resident, who requested anonymity for security reasons, explained that the gunmen strategically blocked major access routes into and out of the village before opening fire indiscriminately.

“They sealed off all the roads so that no one could escape,” the resident said. “Once they were sure people were trapped, they started shooting at anything that moved. Everyone ran in different directions, trying to hide or escape.”

Initial accounts from the community suggested that at least 30 residents were killed during the attack, while many others sustained gunshot wounds. However, later reports indicated that the death toll may be significantly higher.

International news agency Reuters cited local officials and lawmakers who confirmed that more than 50 people were killed during the prolonged raid. According to the reports, the attackers operated freely for several hours, setting homes ablaze and targeting residents who attempted to flee.

A lawmaker representing the area, Hamisu Faru, said the violence began around 5:00 p.m. on Thursday and continued until approximately 3:30 a.m. the following day. He described the incident as part of a broader pattern of coordinated attacks across rural communities in the state.

“These armed groups are moving from one village to another,” Faru said. “They burn houses, shoot residents, and leave behind mass casualties. The situation has become unbearable.”

Another resident, 41-year-old Abdullahi Sani, said he lost three members of his family during the raid. He added that villagers had earlier noticed unusual movements involving more than 150 motorcycles approaching the area and promptly alerted security agencies and local authorities.

“Unfortunately, no help came before the attackers struck,” Sani said. “We did everything we could to warn them, but we were left on our own.”

Footage circulating on social media after the attack showed bodies wrapped in white burial cloths, laid out in preparation for a mass burial. The images further fueled outrage and grief across the state, as families struggled to identify loved ones and account for those still missing.

In addition to the killings, several residents were reportedly abducted during the raid. As of press time, their whereabouts remain unknown, raising fears that they may be taken into the surrounding forests where armed groups often hold captives for ransom.

The massacre comes amid renewed concerns about worsening insecurity in Zamfara and neighboring states, where banditry, mass kidnappings, and attacks on both civilians and security forces have persisted despite ongoing military operations.

Earlier the same day, reports also emerged of a separate security incident involving the Nigerian Army. An armoured personnel carrier escorting civilian motorists along the Keta–Dangibga road was reportedly struck by an improvised explosive device, causing severe damage to the vehicle.

A security source familiar with the incident said the explosion triggered panic among travelers and highlighted the growing use of explosives by armed groups operating along major routes in the state.

The Keta–Dangibga axis has become notorious for ambushes and bomb attacks, with both civilians and military convoys frequently targeted.

Residents and community leaders have once again called on the federal and state governments to urgently strengthen security presence in vulnerable rural areas and ensure faster response to distress alerts.

As families bury their dead and search for missing relatives, fear remains high that without decisive action, similar attacks could occur in nearby communities in the coming days.

No comments